Sunday, August 10, 2008

Swollen Lymph Nodes?????

I share this information with all of you hoping that you will pray for Keith and I tomorrow.
As some of you know I went into the ER a few months ago with big lumps in my neck that appeared overnight. The ER dr. ran some blood tests that came back fine and because I was pregnant decided to send me home, but told me to come back if they didn't go away.

Well...they never did, so I finally went back to the ER on Friday, even though Keith was out of town in Texas and my Mom had to watch the girls. Fortunately, my sister Lacey was able to stay with me in the hospital. But I needed to go in since the lumps were starting to put pressure on my esophagus and it was difficult to swallow.

The first dr. I saw was going to send me home with the explanation that lymph nodes swell for many reasons, saying I should eventually see my primary doctor. Then there was a shift change and the second dr. decided to run more tests after seeing how large the nodes were (I'm very thankful for this second dr.). The blood work came back normal, so then he ordered a chest x-ray which didn't show anything and a CT of my neck and chest with and without contrast (he also talked about running a thyroid test with the blood taken earlier but I was never told the results). Then the CT came back showing more swollen lymph nodes in my neck and chest. I knew about the ones that were popping out of my neck but I had no idea that I had more!!!

At that point the dr. wanted to admit me overnight for a biopsy and further testing. I was a little shocked but so so grateful that I was finally getting somewhere. He had another dr. look at my neck (I think it was the surgeon) and he felt it would be better to let me go home for the weekend since it was Friday evening and all the dr.'s that were needed had gone home. So I left around 7:30pm after being there for about 5 1/2hrs!

I was told to come back to the ER Monday morning at 8:30 for a biopsy and sooner if I got to the point of not being able to swallow...or breath. I also have to make an appointment with an oncologist for this upcoming week. It sounds like the swollen lymph nodes can be anywhere from being benign, to be caused from cat scratch fever (I was scratched by a cat about a week before the lumps appeared) or something worse. I'm trying not to think about the something worse right now (although at times I feel I'm failing miserably) but it's hard when you don't have much information to go on.....so I welcome your prayers today too.

I'll keep you updated on the results of the test and how everything goes. Thanks for your prayers - I know Gods in control but it's still hard to wait and wonder.

8 comments:

Carrie Haughey said...

I am so sorry! that sounds scary, but yay for good doctors who want to check out everything!!

Let me know if you need help with the girls at all, I am available most afternoons... 408.348.5368

Sheila said...

I'll be praying for you! Let me know if you need help too. Love yoU!

jenny said...

I will pray for you when you come to mind! I actually got Cat Scratch Disease/Fever when we were living in Columbus and had very painful, swollen lymphnodes. They gave me some antibiotics (after a LOT of testing and other antibiotics) and the lumps went away very quickly. Hope that's all it is...

Jason and Anna said...

Gosh Cara. Yes, we will be praying for you a ton. Also, last minute is just fine! No worries!!! That's so strange.

Cat scratch fever? I've never heard about that...and Jenny's had it. How crazy.

Kristen Borland said...

oh my, cara! the not knowing is the hardest i think. i will definitely pray... for wisdom for the doctors and for a good diagnosis.

Lisa Leonard said...

Totally praying for you. Can life get any crazier?? Love you guys!!!!!

Kate said...

Keeping you inour prayers too, Cara. Yikes!

Brianna Heldt said...

Oh Cara I'll be praying! PLEASE keep up us posted!