Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Moving Forward!

I finally got a phone call!

I've been calling the Oncologist office everyday since Thursday and I wasn't getting anywhere. Every time I talked with someone in the office I was told that my paperwork was either not there or that it was on the Dr.'s desk waiting to be reviewed. I decided to call in a favor to my old employer (Dr. Mundorf) to see if he could call the Oncologist to help get the ball rolling.

Well...tonight the Oncologist himself called my cell phone! He reassured me that Hodgkin's Lymphoma is very curable. He's going to order either a PET scan or a CT of my chest and abdomen to see if the cancer is anywhere else in my body. It sounds like treatment wouldn't be to far along after that and one of the Dr.'s associates used to be a professor up at Stanford Cancer Center (one of the best Hospitals for Lymphoma) so I should be in very good hands!

We are still planning on moving into my mom's house and Keith along with my brother Josh spent a few hours today puttying holes in the walls to get them ready for some fresh paint. I actually helped a little since I had a bit more energy today. We will be moving into the main house and more specifically the three rooms at the end of the hallway. Bekah is having a blast being at Grammy's house more often - loving the extra attention from her Anunt Kacey and Crista and Unlce Josh although Josh scared her today when he put on a womens blond wig. Bekah went crying/screaming down the hall and into her room...I hope she doesn't do that to me if I end up losing my hair from chemo :(.

I'll keep you all posted as to what happens next. I'm very relieved that treatment is coming and I will actually be a cancer patient but it totally scares me too. My time to fight is almost here and I pray that God will give me and my family the strength we need to get though it.

4 comments:

betterjam said...

Sounds Like Moving in with Jan will be a great idea. I am glad to hear that the Dr. finally got back to you. I will keep you all in my prayers..
Dr. Cory

Carrie Haughey said...

So glad things are starting to move along!!!

hugmom said...

Cara-
I, too am thankful that things are beginning to happen. Something in your post reminded me of Psalm 91 that I meditate on for Seth quite a bit. I wanted to include a few of the verses here so I looked it up on an online Bible and looked at the Message - it is so wonderful and encouraging:
"If you'll hold on to me for dear life," says God,
"I'll get you out of any trouble.
I'll give you the best of care
if you'll only get to know and trust me.
Call me and I'll answer, be at your side in bad times;
I'll rescue you, then throw you a party.
I'll give you a long life,
give you a long drink of salvation!"
That's Psalm 91:14-16 from the Message. I'll be using it to pray for you.
Forever in Christ,
Debbi Weeks

Kim Thomas said...

Hi Cara & Keith,

We're still praying for you and will continue. I know what you're going through, like I posted a bit ago, that my sister had it 20 to 30 years ago. Today, things are much better for sickness with treatment, etc.

I just mentioned to someone else my favorite verse, which is Isaiah 41:10, which says, "Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."

I love that verse, it's helped me many times.

Just know you are in our prayers!

Kim,Ken,Craig,Robbie & Randy Thomas