Monday, September 8, 2008

Mighty to Save

So how are things going? Although this has proven a difficult question to answer, since things have been changing constantly, it is safe to say that the past few days have been rough.

Cara did okay after her chemo thursday, but then came the weekend. She spent most of the time either sleeping or trying to sleep. The Prednisone causes her to be wired and unable to sleep despite her bodies complete exhaustion, pretty much the definition of torture. On top of this, she was hit hard by nausea, brutal headaches, and even some fun mood swings. Finally, this afternoon she has had a reprieve, laughing and playing with the girls. We are hoping for two more good days until Cara goes in for treatment #2 on Thursday. We keep telling each other, just 7 more weeks!!

One of the high points for me was going with Bekah and Sadie (with Jan's help) to church Sunday. I just had this weird premonition that the worship team was going to play the song Mighty to Save, and sure enough, they did. I sensed God strengthening me as I croaked out "He can move the mountains, my God is mighty to save"--my eyes welling up. The next song was Blessed Be Your Name, reminding me that God is still God as we stumble down this road marked with suffering. He deserves our everything when life is sunshine and when life feels like it's falling apart. It was amazing worshipping and being with so many people who care and are praying for our family. We definitely weren't meant to go through this alone!

Well, it's getting late and we need to get some rest. Cara wants to go out to our favorite meal-- breakfast--tomorrow morning. Mmmmm.

6 comments:

Joanie said...

Love the pictures! Sorry to hear about the rough time. I remember counting weeks until being done with morning sickness. Can't imagine having to count until being done with chemo. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to lighten the load or make the time go faster.

Then, when it's all through, can we turn back the time so that Cara can actually enjoy her precious daughters when they're so tiny?

Not that she isn't enjoying them now, and of course they'll be just as wonderful 7 weeks from now, just that it must be rough.

We're praying for you!

Elias said...

those are two great songs. "blessed be Your name" has been a song that has encouraged me through hard times. praise God for music and the strength He brings us through it.

praying for strength and trust for you guys.

Irish Girl said...

Keith,
God is amazing touching us through worship! I love when that happens!
I'm sorry to hear about Cara, my mom had talked to Jan on Sunday at church. Cara should talk to my mom about prednisone if she has time... my mom has been on that for her Rheumatoid Arthritis... it does the same thing to her.
Anyway, I am thinking of you guys and praying for all of you. Even though I am out here in Texas now... I am still part of your support group. I love and miss you all! I know that God is going to get you all through this trying time. We may never understand the purpose of this on this side of heaven, but God is all knowing and He has His purpose that is being fulfilled through this. Maybe it's a doctor, or another patient that Cara will get to save through her testimony. Hang in there! Big cyber hugs to all of you! Thank you for the updates!!!
I just posted a long one last night on my blog too... with a bunch of pics from the trip out here :)

Kristen Borland said...

God always knows exactly what we need, doesn't he?! May He bless you all.

liz oelker said...

Praise the Lord that you are not alone in this and that He can speak to you during those times of worship. Praying Cara can get some sleep and praising for the good days she has.

2Badgers said...

Thanks for sharing, our ever sweet son, about the goodness of God in the rough roads(days)as well as the good times. It is also so great to worship with God's people and trust Him again and again realizing that He is faithful ALWAYS, as we are reminded in so many ways. I am thankful that God has brought a gift through worship music to you, which is so much the reason that our hearts well up and the eyes tear up....must run in the family! Love you both, and praying for the cycles of the meds and chemo....especially for great success through it all. To God be the glory! :)Mom