Thursday, October 9, 2008

My New Look

So I finally did it and I'm calling my new look....
Post Prego GI Jane
meaning - my hair looks like GI Jane but my body looks like I had a baby 3 months ago. I went in for my chemo #6 yesterday and also had an appointment with my dr. I asked him if he thought I would be able to make it through my whole chemo. treatment without loosing to much more hair since it had already thinned a lot. He told me that the chemo. I was going to be getting in the next two weeks would finish off my hair and it's already dead and dry. I said "so I guess it's time to buzz it" and his response was "you could always give yourself a mowhawk for a day before you shave it!" That made me laugh and although I didn't take his suggestion I am kinda relieved to have it gone. It was getting tedious having so much hair constantly ready to fall out and I didn't want to get to the point of it falling out in chunks.

Yesterday my sister Crista shaved it while Bekah watched. I gave her some lucky charms (a very special treat) and had her sit in her bear chair while I talked about how fun it was that I was getting a new haricut. She didn't want to feel it at first but by bedtime she was asking to "tooch it". She would tenderly graze my head with one finger and then do her wiggle dance with a huge smile on her face because it felt funny :). Sadie doesn't seem to notice and Keith seems to be getting "used" to it as well. He kissed my head before leaving for school this morning and I'm taking that as a good sign.

I'll post some pictures soon :).

17 comments:

Pumpkin said...

With your face I am sure you are still stunning.

Joanie said...

So true, Pumpkin! Press on, Brave Cara!

Jason and Anna said...

You are living every girl's "I wonder what it would be like to shave my head" dream...or maybe that's just me. :-) The funny thing is that the buzzed look is sort of "in" for girls. There's a girl at TJ's who has it. So, you know, just start dressing emo and you will be one trendy lady.

And really good idea on having Bekah watch you do it. I would not have thought of that. She got to see it happen and not be surprised by it. Smart mother!

Ok, so can we hang out with you guys...bring you desert...:-) I miss you!

Kristen Borland said...

you go, girl! that has to be better than wondering if and when it's going to happen. and you're beautiful hair will be back someday.

so when is keith buzzing his hair?

Irish Girl said...

I agree with Kristen... Keith should shave his head too... hey, mine is partially shaved! It will also make it grow back more even :) I'm sure you look great, and everyone will love rubbing your head, so get used to that! I can't wait to see pics! Only two more doses to go of Chemo! (right?) I love you Cara and I am so proud of you!!!

joy said...

i agree with pumpkin. you are very brave, cara and i admire your sense of humor through all of this.

Anonymous said...

I put my thumb over your hair in the blog photo of you and your family to "catch a visual"... and you looked beautiful. I'm sure the real you is even more beautiful than a picture partially covered by my thumb. :)

shari said...

way to go!

can't wait to see it!

Kate said...

love your heart, love your attitude. you inspire me.

Lisa Leonard said...

I know you'll pull it off. I definitely want to see some pics! This is a season...hang in there!!

Our Life Together said...

You have had the best attitude towards this whole thing. It's actually very inspiring and moving. I think you will look great and I am looking forward to the pictures. I do, however, think your hubby should join in in the fun :).

Brianna Heldt said...

You're awesome Cara! I always liked the movie GI Jane, and you're way prettier than Demi Moore, and I know you will look fabulous! Can't wait to see a picture!

2Badgers said...

We love you, Cara! You're both wise *AND* beautiful! To have included Bekah in the process was very cool... more than one child has been freaked needlessly by a parent's lack of sensitivity. Please don't ask how i know that.

Proverbs 31: 29-30 Many daughters have done well, But you excel them all. Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised.

Luke 12:7 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.

Mama Mote said...

I agree with everyone else. You are a beautiful woman and always have been. Now, Anna, has a dream of buzzing her head? Well, anyway, Cara, it is a privilege to be able to walk this road with you and your family and see how God is working in your life and through it. I continue to pray for you and your mom and will see you soon.

Elias said...

i continue to pray for you guys.

Katie Lady said...

Was SO fun to have your hubby here with us for a FEW hours. Wish you could have been,too. We spent some wonderful time praying for you this morning and can't wait to see your inner beauty shine thru those pics. appreciate your honesty...

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for you cara! I'm sure your still more beautiful than ever! Praise God for your diligence!