Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Last Chemo!

I'm so very excited! Today is my last chemo. treatment!

I go in at 2:30 this afternoon to have my weekly appointment with Dr. Malone and then I'm off to get my chemo. and to have my PICC line removed. I'm a little nervous about getting the line taken out, although it will be nice to not have to wrap my arm in saran wrap every morning before I get in the shower. It's over a foot long and goes up my arm and ends near my heart - I've heard it doesn't hurt when it's removed so I hope that's the case. I also hope that I get to stop taking all the oral medications that go along with the chemo. - I want to be drug free!!! :)

On Monday I go back to see Dr. Gilroy (he's the radiation dr.) to have a mask made for my treatments - I guess they make a mask so that my head stays in certain positions while they radiate my neck and chest. Then on Tuesday I get another PET/CT done to find out where the cancer still is and Dr. Gilroy's office will use that scan to determine my specific plan (where and how deep to radiate). It sounds like I will have 4 weeks of treatment, 5 days a week starting the first week of November. It's going to be kinda a pain having to go everyday but the side effects aren't as severe as chemo. The most common side effects are fatigue, skin irritation (just at the site area) and esophageal pain (towards the end). He said I may lose weight since my esophagus will probably start to hurt when I swallow but I'm ok with that.....I'll just think of it as my post. preggo weight loss plan :).

I'm looking forward to this next step - each day that passes means I'm that much closer to the finish line!

8 comments:

Jason and Anna said...

Wahoo!!! So exciting Cara! Way to be tough through this all. The Lord is so good. I feel like he TOTALLY watched over you through this whole thing. Your side effects were't awful it seems. So many people I know that had chemo were yacking pretty much the whole time. Maybe we'll bring a dessert over next week in celebration!!!

Jeannett said...

Drug free is the way to be! Woohoo! Your D.A.R.E. teachers in elementary school would be proud! :)

So excited to hear you are through the toughest parts! Yippee!!!

Irish Girl said...

Cara I am so proud of you! Your attitude is amazing! I am coming home for Thanksgiving for almost a whole week... I can't wait to give you a BIG, HUGE hug! I will be praying that these next weeks of treatment go by quickly and as pain free as possible!
I love you girlie!

Katie Lady said...

Blessed by Your name, in a land that is plentiful...we praise God for His provision for you through all of this.You are truly not WASTING YOUR CANCER! Can't wait to celebrate a full recovery with you.

Joanie said...

Aah, the end of chemo. That is very good. We'll keep praying for you during the radiation.

Mama Mote said...

WHEW! Can you believe it's near the end? So glad to hear and I, too, am proud of how you came through all this. And so proud of Keith as he was able to step in when he could...had to be hard with school now taking up a lot of time. Will continue to pray for you and your family. Love you much.

liz oelker said...

yay!you're so amazing! you're doing so great! Still praying. love you!

Lisa Leonard said...

hang in there friend! i hope radiation is easy than chemo. we are praying for you!