Friday, January 2, 2009

Gingerbread house engineering



One of my favorite Christmas past times is making gingerbread houses, or in this case graham cracker houses. What could be better than constructing a house out of candy and then eating it? This year I drew inspiration by doing a google image search on gingerbread houses, which served to deflate me more than anything else. Talk about incredible! But I was still pumped that this year I got to share the experience with my co-architect and sweet tooth, Ms. Bekah. So we lit a fire in the fireplace, turned on the Christmas tunes, and set to work. Cara pretty much stood back and laughed at us.
Bekah's favorite job was to "queeze" the frosting out onto the house, and she learned quickly that if frosting got on your fingers, it was vital that it be licked off immediately. She also learned that it's a good thing I switched OUT of my original CP major of Mechanical Engineering. I underestimated the candy-laden weight of the roof, resulting in the below disaster.
But we recovered and created a graham cracker teepee instead, perhaps not as elegant as our google image counterparts, but the grand time we had couldn't be beat. Notice the frosting remnants around Bekah's mouth--yep, she had a great time!

2 comments:

Liv said...

I always love the pictures you post! I totally missed out on gingerbread house making, I havent done that for years... to much regret. Poor Aria, no candy, booo hoo. It was so nice to see you cara and you two girls who are growing crazy like weeds! We had a great time at home... with the usual drama. I absolutely miss you and have no clue when I will see you guys again, so please keep me updated with lots of pictures.
Oh ya happy belated anniversary Tommy and I were looking at our date calendar and realized we totally forgot yours. To another year you two get to love oneanother!
Liv

Melissa said...

Way to be creative fellow speech comm major!