Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Christmas music addict

This year I waited longer than ever to bust out my favorite Christmas music--the day after Thanksgiving. Yes, I did it! I waited until the culturally acceptable moment to begin the Christmas season, a strange feeling after working at the Parable, where Christmas music is heard come October. So what sounds are heard while we deck our halls this season? Here are a few favorites:
Yes indeed, nothing like a little punk rock Christmas music to get everyone dancing. This is Bekah's downright favorite to dance to, or "hop, hop" as she says when she wants me to pop in Relient K. This CD has it all; rocking versions of the "12 days of Christmas" and "Deck the Halls", thoughtful, poignant ballads like "I Celebrate the Day", and some laugh-out-loud songs like "Santa Claus is Thumbin to town." This was the first one I listened to come Black Friday.
The power of this one sneaks up on you. You're whistling along to a good version of "Do You See What I See?" and all of a sudden Todd Agnew's gravelly voice bursts into a whole new dimension, allowing you to see the Christmas story through new eyes, and from multiple perspectives. The songs on this album are almost all original, written from the varied lenses of those involved in the Christmas story (Mary, Joseph, the shepherds, etc.). Though these songs don't always sound "Christmassy", their depth will blow you away. Listen to the first song and last song back to back for an amazing musical journey!
Cara will tease me on this one since she doesn't think MWS is very cool, but there's no knocking its hugeness. It's all about the sweeping orchestra, the glorious choir, and a great guest performance by Mandisa. I grew up listening to his and Amy Grant's Christmas music, and yes, I used to think "Emanuel" was a rockin song. And still, I find myself reaching for his music each Christmas, just not the awkward 80s holiday tunes anymore.

So what about you? What Christmas music gets you in the spirit of the season? Any new favorites?

8 comments:

Christy said...

Um, for SURE I listen to [both] Relient K Christmas CD's. The newer one is kind of lame because its half of the old ones but I burned a mix of all the originals only and that makes the CD longer for road trips. Side note, I also listen to this album year around.
I also have the Chipmunks Christmas CD which I am [not?] ashamed to say I still like because of nostalgia, and I know all the words to all the songs!!

I will try out Todd A though!!

Erika Marie said...

2 absolute must haves for the Christmas season: Sarah McLaughlin, Wintersong and Sufjan Stevens!! Cara, remind me, and i'll let you guys borrow them!! =)

Kristen Borland said...

city in a hill has a great one, but my FAV is "poets and angels" by ottmar liebert. WOW!

Mama Mote said...

We're listening to KLIFE in the office and every so often a song pops up that just gets me into the Christmas spirit - One I love, that my daughter reminded me of (can't believe I don't remember it) is "Mary, Did You Know?" I love what you shared and I may have the Chipmunks buried in storage right now.

Katie Lady said...

Harry Connnick, Jr. has three great holiday albums, but his first, "When My Heart Finds Christmas" is my favorite. A new fave is Josh Grobans, "Noel." Wow, that man can sing! Glad you guys are enjoying the holiday spirit,too. We also busted it out the day after Thanksgiving and our 5 CD player is ALWAYS full and playing...even when Tim is on PS2, because I cannot STAND that annoying soundtrack!

Jacquelyn said...

Hey thanks for the Tod Agnew plug! I've been looking for something to listen to besides "Bing Crosby"

Joanie said...

Wonderful Counselor! Lord of Life, Lord of all; He's the Prince of Peace, Mighty God, Holy one!

Emmanuel!
Emmanuel!

shari said...

ok, this comment has nothing to do with christmas music.

are you guys as excited as me for the new season of the biggest loser?