Friday, June 20, 2008

Dangerous Grace

Some thoughts as I've been reading the Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning and allowing the words from one of my favorite songs to cut through...

Grace is dangerous. It compels us to journey beyond our safe 10 minute quiet times and repetitive prayers. It calls beyond simply playing the game and putting on the happy face, stripping us bare before the incomprehensible God. We so quickly hoard our accomplishments, our "hollow completions" to validate ourselves, to be called deserving. May we recognize our bankruptcy and cry out for Grace!

They're steady, steady breathers,

Who won't lift a finger for the gasping weaker.
You just hoard your hollow completion,
Like it's something wearing thin.
Like it's gonna get you in, When heaven comes.

'Cause when heaven comes,
I swear it comes in love.

Grace make your way to the well,
To those who deserve it.
After all they've earned it.
But vain, it's in vain,
'Cause they don't need it.

Grace make your way
Grace make your way
-As Cities Burn

1 comment:

Carrie Haughey said...

love love love the ragamuffin gospel, it spoke to me sooo much when I read it. I should read it again...